Top Social

Floating Shelves

8/05/2017


We are loving our new home! It's been so fun working on projects and seeing things come together!
One of my favorite projects so far has been our little coffee nook. There was an awkward space in our kitchen with a small countertop and an open wall. I thought it would be fun to make it our little coffee nook, but we needed somewhere to put our mugs. And we have A LOT of mugs (I'm guilty of buying any cute mug I see)! I love floating shelves and I love all our special mugs, so I thought some shelves would be perfect for the little space.



All together, this project cost a little under $30.00! All of the supplies were purchased at a local store, but I've linked similar products from Home Depot.

- 2in x 10in x 8ft Lumber
  The space between our wall was 28.5 inches, so I needed 85.5 inches (or just over 7ft) total
  They will cut them for you if you tell them what size you need!
- Shelf Brackets
  I liked the gray ones! We used four brackets per board, so twelve total
- Shelf Bracket Screws
  You'll most likely need four packages
- Stain
  I used the color "golden oak" but you can use whatever your little heart desires!

BEFORE

First things first is to stain the boards. After the staining was out of the way, this project took my mom and I under two hours! We started by deciding how far apart I wanted each board. We decided on making the bottoms of each board 12 inches apart. So starting from the counter, we measured up 12in and made a small mark, and repeated on the other side of the wall. Using a level, I made a faint line on each sides of the wall so that we knew where to place the board. We also wanted the brackets to be 2inches in, so we made a mark to know where the edge of the bracket should be. I aligned the top and side of the bracket with the faint lines/marks and screwed them into the wall. Once all four brackets were in the wall, we placed the board on top of the brackets and screwed the brackets to the board.
After the first board was up, we measured 12in from the bottom of the first board and repeated the steps!

If you have any open wall space, I definitely recommend trying something like this! This once awkward space is now one of my favorite little spots in our house!








Post Comment
Post a Comment